Most of us think we know what we’re worth, and it’s usually something like 15% more than whatever it is we’re currently making.
And that’s normal. We’re human beings and we always want more. We’re always anchoring our calculation of what we’re worth off of what we’re currently making.
But most of us have no idea what we’re really worth.
Most people’s number one complaint about their job is money. Any of these sound familiar?
- I should get paid more because I’m so good at my job
- Compared to others in my field, I should get paid more
- For what I’m putting up with, I should be getting paid a lot more
- Chuck is making X, so I should get paid at least that much
- I haven’t gotten a raise in years, I’m due for one
Slice it up however you want, we always seem to complain about how much we’re paid. And we should: it’s the reason we go to work every day.